Opinion: My college story can be yours

Image result for reach higher initiativeOpinion: My college story can be yours

By Michelle Obama

This week’s article was Opinion: My college story can be yours. It was about young people getting into college, how we can help, and how they could prepare themselves for college. “I’ve also heard about the challenges they’re facing — the rising costs of tuition, their overstretched school counselors, and the insecurities and fears that come along with being first-generation college students.”  College can also be a troubling task when you’re the first generation in your family to go to college. Most colleges want to have as many first generations in their school, but it would probably be more pressure on the student. College could be troubling for those who aren’t even first generation. Theres other problems like the expense of college or even profuse counselors. “My message to these young people is that while all of us adults — teachers, administrators and policymakers — have to do a better job of giving them the best schools and opportunities for their future, at the end of the day, they also need to step up and take responsibility for their education themselves.” We want students to feel comfortable and be able to make the best decision while being prepared at the same time. Where adults will be there to help, the students will have to work diligently to get this. They also talked about a girl named Rocio, “Rocio’s family came to the United States when she was a child, and they lived together in one tiny, crumbling room.” Her father helped her sell things outside of her school, but eventually pushed her to college.

In this article there were no really difficult to understand phrases or words. This was mostly because she was trying to get a message across to all students and it needed to be easy to understand. She can’t be saying words no one knows or phrases that no one understands if she is trying to present this idea to the common person let alone common student.

This week we had to describe why and how our articles were so biased. My article was an opinion article so I really have a lot that I could say about this. First of all I would just like to point out that the whole college thing is her opinion which means many may not agree with her. “The good news is we know that all of this is possible. Every day, we’re seeing examples of communities stepping up to support their young people” This may not be good news to everyone. She also mentions how adults need to help, but the students must try their hardest. Although it’s basically a fact that the student really has to work, it is still what she believes and therefore is her opinion. Education is an inherent idea that will forever be everywhere and it will continue to get more rigorous.

I decided to write about this article because education is something I strongly believe in. It’s one of those things where you take what your parents believe and form a very similar opinion because my mom is an elementary vice principle. I think that education is what runs every country and if we want it to get better our education needs to get better. If we’re the future of this country, you’re not going to want a bunch of incoherent idiots running for president (kind of already happening.) One of our family friends is high up in the secret service (not telling who) and he has been working with Michelle Obama. He said that he has so much respect for her and believes in everything that she does, so he is hoping to stay with her after the election. He is definitely adherent to Michelle Obama and it sounds like my family is too.

https://newsela.com/articles/flotus-reachhigher/id/16209/

One thought on “Opinion: My college story can be yours